ConnectEm - Your one stop to simple Daily Meeting scheduler
HarperDB + Hashnode Hackathon Submission
Over the weekend, I came across some amazing submissions from the community. This really pushed me to complete my open-source project before the deadline. I have collaborated with my college buddies - Jasbindar Singh and Ibtesam Ansari. We haven't worked together in a long time. So, this is sort of a work reunion.
💡 The Idea
Let's start with the problem we aim to solve. While going through the Linkedin/Twitter feed, you must have come across posts on taking mentoring sessions. People want to share their wisdom and knowledge but they always struggle to respond to flooded DMs and countless comments. The traditional way of planning such sessions is tedious and needed a change.
What if there was a one-stop solution for scheduling meetings. People are trying to give back to the community and the least we can do is make the process seamless.
🚀 Introducing ConnectEm
ConnectEm is a one stop to simple Daily Meeting scheduler. Here's a quick demo of the website as of today,
If a video demo isn't your thing, let me walk you through the flow:
- This is our landing page with options to
- Click on
learn moreto see how the site works:
- Click on
signupto create your account:
- On successful
signup, you'll be taken to your dashboard. This is where you'll find the list of
eventscreated. I added some events in advance to show how it looks:
- On clicking the
createbutton on the dashboard, it will take you to the
create eventpage. Enter the needed details as shown on the page. We support
multiple dates& a
time slotfor the event. Also, remember to enter the
slotsavailable for each session:
hostwill receive the
- The newly created event will be added to the dashboard. Let's take a look at the event card created. It shows some details of the event and two buttons. The left one is for toggling event state as
public/closedand the right one copies the event
bookinglink to the clipboard.
- Tap on the card to see the complete details:
- Let's visit the event
bookinglink we talked about not long ago. This is the link you'll share on social media so that the interested ones can visit the link and
first come first serve basis.
- Interested ones can book slots based on availability:
- Both the
attendeeswill receive the confirmation mail on successful slot booking. The mail will consist of the
meet invitefor the slot booked and the option to add the event to your
🍔 Technology Stack
- TailwindCSS - a utility-first CSS framework for rapid UI development.
- Netlify - an intuitive Git-based workflow and powerful serverless platform to build and deploy web apps.
- Nest - a progressive Node.js framework for building efficient, reliable and scalable server-side applications.
- HarperDB - a distributed database with NoSQL and SQL capabilities.
- Heroku - a platform as a service (PaaS) to build, monitor and deploy web apps and APIs.
🛣️ The Journey
It was quite a project to build and needed an organized workflow. We made use of Trello to assign tasks and keep track of progress.
We needed a tool to brainstorm the design ideas and Figma served the purpose. It is collaborative by nature.
Let's start with the frontend:
- To simplify the process of getting started with
React, we used
Prettierto follow the best coding practices and ensure readability.
- Setting up
componentsand integrated them into
- Added declarative routing with
Things we did in the backend:
- Setting up
- APIs for
creating an event,
mailsto host on event creation and bookings.
- Attendees also receive a confirmation
- Frontend is deployed on
- Backend is deployed on
✨ Upcoming Features
- Feed to search public meetings.
- Auto-generate Google meet links while creating events.
Whenever you find a bug, create an
issue and tag relevant people.
When developing a
- Always branch out from the
- Branch name convention-
- Test your feature on your
feature branchand then create PR to
developwith screenshot, if applicable.
- After PRs are accumulated on develop branch, we will use release versions and release to
That's all for this submission blog. All the best to everyone!
Interested in reading more such articles from Piyush Sinha?
Support the author by donating an amount of your choice.